A few days late…spring break got the best of me folks…
- Physical–As I mentioned, I ran my first 10 mile run last Saturday and it was so empowering to do so! We are really in the home stretch for the 1/2 marathon (less than two weeks!) and we are grateful to have gotten 10 miles in, as many training programs stop there. We were hoping to do 10 today, but due to
scheduling issues poor planning, we ended up running after church and it was 70 degrees. Seeing as how we typically run in about 50 degree weather (max), we were not prepared, not well hydrated and we both had to stop a little early. I stopped right at 8 miles and walked the rest of the way in (we were on a trail, so we had ran 5 miles out). I texted the Beau who was ahead of me to call me when he was done, planning on asking him to go get Gatorade (never been a big fan of drinking calories, but after Krisse’s post, I knew it had to help as I felt so dehydrated). When he called, he was already on his way back from the store with 2 Gatorades. I love my beau. I honestly wept when I hung up the phone. He even walked to meet me to get me my fuel. Although I’m excited to run this race, I know that our training in our head has got to step it up if I want to continue running. We have much to learn about fueling and becoming more in tune with our bodies to be the most effective when we are out on the pavement.
- Spiritual–We began a new series at church this past week about relationships and what a beautiful mess they are. Man, once again, it so hits home. The series is centered around what has long been one of my favorite verses: “Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind and all your strength and love your neighbor as yourself.” (Luke 10:27) It’s all about loving God so you can better love others. We were able to get a first hand experience of this as the Beau and I headed to West Liberty, which was one of the communities severely hit by the tornadoes that came through a few weeks ago. Talk about perspective. It’s so sad to see the destruction that a storm of this caliber can create. It’s also humbling to remember that something we cannot control can have such a huge affect on our lives. It also ushered in a sense of trust in God’s goodness to us in the midst of difficulty.
- Creative–Nothing too creative this week…probably going to be benched for a few weeks to be honest.
- Home–Very thankful to get some spring cleaning done! Yay! I purged my closet and dresser of unused/unwanted clothing, sorted my closet entirely by color (yes, I ROY G BIV’d it and I’m not ashamed), and am excited about working my wardrobe a bit more creatively. I have a work conference coming up along with a few more down the pipe this year and I’d love to be able to utilize my wardrobe more effectively (and in everyday wear as well).
- Personal–It’s been a very random week to say the least. Students were gone on spring break, but we were in the office. I had scheduled to be off a few days at the end of the week and then we did tornado relief, so I was only in the office two days. Very unusual, but I’ll take it. I’ve been staying pretty on top of things with my Week at a Glance planner, even in the randomness of the week. I was very fortunate to have some time have a girls day for myself on one of those days off-brunch with girlfriends, a gift certificate for a massage, a hair appointment. It was lovely. Thursday also started March Madness, so we’ve been watching lots of basketball around our house. Loving that our Kentucky Wildcats are looking so good and there have been some really amazing Cinderella stories.
Mom Update: Still having quite a bit of back pain, but trying to stay positive!
Yummy Recipes! Such a crazy week, I made some staples of Sausage Balls and Brussel Sprouts, as well as yummy Sausage, cabbage and apples on St. Patty’s Day! Have a much better “normal” week and more yummy meals on tap!
“Pinteresting” Things: If you’re on pinterest, feel free to follow my boards!
Yummy Pina Colada pops that are Paleo! Can’t wait to try these!
Speaking of style, I’ve been looking at lots of exciting ideas for refashioning and restyling my closet. Some great finds:
Options for a striped oxford shirt
The little black dress--5 ways!
I’ve also been looking at lot at belts, scarves and cardigans–so may ways to change up an outfit with these pieces!
And something I’ve been telling myself lately on the pavement:
Things I’m learning: My “theme” for the week on my weekly planner was “Calm.” It’s funny how on spring break week when most folks week is not calm, and my week honesty was (on the surface) quite hectic, I had a sense of calm resonating from deep within that sustained me. The other thing I’ve been learning–not so deep. When you’re planning a 6am run with the beau, a) remember that the time change makes the sun rise later, b) make sure you both have your headlamps c) know your route. Secondly, when you forget all those things and have to run at noon with the sun blazing at 70 degrees on March 18th, don’t complain about your sunburn and increased number of freckles.
My verse for the week–“For the foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than human strength.” 1 Corinthians 1:25 I sense God is stirring some things deep down within that seem very foolish to me. I guess they’re right on point then. Stay tuned…
Hope you’ve had a great week! Happy Weekend!